Tel: 1(905) 634-3848

Text: 1(905) 906-3848

Purveyors of Authentic Militaria

eMedals-A First War Medal Group to the 5th Canadian Mounted Rifles

Item: C3735

A First War Medal Group to the 5th Canadian Mounted Rifles

Sold For


View Bid History

Not available.

A First War Medal Group to the 5th Canadian Mounted Rifles

A First War Medal Group to the 5th Canadian Mounted Rifles - 1914-15 Star (A-24239 Pte J.H. WOOLLEY. 5/CAN:INF:); British War Medal (424239 PTE. J.H. WOOLLEY. 5-CAN.INF.); and Victory Medal (424239 PTE. J.H. WOOLLEY. 5-CAN.INF.). Naming is officially impressed. Un-mounted, cleaned, edge wear on the BWM, bruising on the VM, better than fine. Accompanied by a well-worn 13 mm x 100 mm three-ribbon Ribbon Bar on same and copies of his Index Cards, Attestation Paper, Service Records, Medical Records and Discharge Certificates.  Footnote: James Henry Woolley was born on September 29, 1886 in Haresfield, Gloucestershire, England. He was taken on strength at Melville, Saskatchewan on December 31, 1914. He sailed from Montreal, Quebec aboard the S.S. Missanabie on June 1, 1915 and signed his Attestation Paper with the 45th Infantry Battalion "Manitoba Regiment" on July 15, 1915 in Shorncliffe, England, naming his next-of-kin as his mother, Mrs. Albert Woolley of Gloucester, England, stating that he had no previous military service, that he was not married and that his trade was that of Decorator. Three days later, he was transferred to the 5th Battalion for service in the French theatre on July 18, 1915. In the Spring of 1916, he was admitted to No. 5 British Red Cross Hospital at Wimereux and diagnosed with "Cervical Adenitis" (an infection of a lymph node in the neck) on April 14th. He was transferred to No. 5 Convalescent Camp at Boulogne on April 17th, until being discharged to Base Details on April 24th. Seventeen days later, he was admitted to No. 6 Stationary Hospital at Le Havre, his condition stated as "N.Y.D." (not yet determined) on May 11th, but it was soon determined that the lymph glands in his neck had become inflamed to the point where it was necessary to invalid him to England. He was taken on strength at the Canadian Casualty Assembly Centre at Folkestone on May 13th, then transferred to the City of London Military Hospital, Clapton N.E. on May 15th, where it was noted by a doctor that "The condition of this man's neck is due to constitutional causes, and is such as to render him quite unfit for the duties of a soldier and I consider he should be discharged from the Army." He saw additional transfers, to the Canadian Convalescent Hospital at Bromley on July 12th, to Moore Barracks Camp Hospital at Shorncliffe on July 19th, where it was noted that Woolley had "opened abscesses on (the) left side (of his neck) and treated", to Canadian Divisional Convalescent Hospital, Woodcote Park at Epsom on August 1st, before returning to Moore Barracks Camp Hospital at Shorncliffe on September 1st. Woolley was transferred to the Canadian Convalescent Hospital, Sanatorium Section at Hastings, Sussex, for continued treatment for "Tubercle Glands" on October 30, 1916. In his Medical Report, it stated that the "Patient states that he first has T.B. glands about 1895 (at age 9), had glands on the left die of his neck removed and had considerable trouble again in 1908 (at age 22). States that he made a fair recovery but always has some trouble. Was in France for ten months. In April the glands again became troublesome, was returned to England, was operated on at the City of London Military Hospital, Clapton, and again at Moore Barracks Hospital. Had two operations there." After almost two months, he was discharged from Hastings and invalided to Canada by authority of a Medical Board, sailing from Liverpool, England for Canada aboard the S.S. Scotian on December 24, 1916, arriving in Canada on January 4, 1917. Three weeks later, he returned to Western Canada and was admitted as an "inpatient" at MHCC (Military Hospitals Commission Command) Convalescent Home in Regina, Saskatchewan on January 25, 1917. He was to be treated for the next eight months at MHCC Regina before being discharged as "being no longer physically fit for War Service" on October 9, 1917 at District Depot, Military District No. 12 in Regina. He died in 1958.
Back To Top