Tel: 1(905) 634-3848

Text: 1(905) 906-3848

Purveyors of Authentic Militaria

eMedals-A First War Medal Group to the 4th Canadian Infantry CEF

Item: C3446

A First War Medal Group to the 4th Canadian Infantry CEF



Layaway Policy

eMedals is pleased to offer flexible layaway services to all clients. Our layaway program offers the opportunity for clients to make payments on eligible items over period of time.

Minimum deposit of 30%, of the total price of your order including all applicable taxes and shipping charges, is due when the merchandise is put on layaway. The total price of your order must be paid within 6 months from the date of original purchase.

You may make additional payments at any time by accessing the Layaway section in your account.

Your contract will be automatically cancelled and ordered merchandise will be returned to stock if you have not completed payments in full by the 3 month deadline.

You may pay by cash, check, wire transfer, Paypal, or credit card.

Available for immediate shipping.

A First War Medal Group to the 4th Canadian Infantry CEF

A First War Medal Group to the 4th Canadian Infantry CEF - 1914-15 Star (63094 Sjt F.A. BARTER. 4/CAN:INF:); British War Medal (63094 SJT. F.E. BARTER. 4-CAN.INF.); and Victory Medal (63094 SJT. F.E. BARTER. 4-CAN.INF.). Naming is officially impressed. Cleaned, light contact, near extremely fine. Accompanied by a CD containing thirty-two pages with copies of his Index Cards, Attestation Paper, Service Records, Medical Records, Military History of an Invalid, Letter from the Office of the A.D.M.S. Canadian Shorncliffe to the Office Commanding, CAMC Depot, Shorncliffe (dated January 30, 1918, recommending that Barter be sent to No. 11 Canadian General Hospital for further assessment) and Discharge Certificates. Footnote: Frederick Alfred Barter was born on January 26, 1882 at London, England. He signed his Attestation Paper on November 30, 1914 with the 23rd Infantry Battalion "Montreal Battalion" in Montreal, Quebec, listing his next-of-kin as his wife, Hettie E. Baxter of Montreal, that he had no previous military service, that he was a Widower and that his trade was that of Journalist. He later changed his next-of-kin to his mother, Mrs. Rebecca Barter of Montreal, as his wife is documented as having died in 1913. The Battalion was raised in British Columbia, Alberta, Manitoba and Quebec with mobilization headquarters at Quebec City, Quebec under the authority of G.O. 26, March 15, 1915. The Battalion sailed February 23, 1915 with a strength of 35 officers and 942 other ranks under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel F.W. Fisher. In England, the 23rd Battalion was re-designated the 23rd Reserve Battalion. Barter was promoted to Lance Sergeant at Shorncliffe on March 30, 1915 and began serving in the French theatre one month later, on April 26th. After one week in France, he was transferred to the 4th Infantry Battalion on May 2nd. The following week, Barter was to begin what would become a series of hospital visits. The first occurred on May 7th, when he reported to No. 13 General Hospital with a Sprained Ankle. The following day, he was sent to No. 8 General Hospital at Rouen, then to the Convalescent Camp on May 19th for recovery. He was at No. 3 General Base Depot when he was transferred to No. 1 Canadian General Hospital at Le Havre on June 30, 1915. After one month, he was transferred to the Canadian Army Medical Depot at No. 1 Canadian General Hospital at Etaples on July 24th, reverting to the Ranks at His Own Request. He soon saw an appointment to Lane Corporal on September 2, 1915, upon his admission to No. 1 C.G.H. with a case of influenza, remaining there until being discharged on the 25th. He was promoted Corporal on October 15, 1915. His health began to suffer again, as he was admitted to No. 1 C.G.H. on December 22, 1915 with a case on influenza, taking two weeks to recover before returning to duty on January 10, 1916. While incapacitated, he saw an appointment to Lance Sergeant on January 1st. Two months after returning to duty, he was hospitalized for two weeks at No. 1 C.G.H. with an Inflamed Stomach on March 19th, until April 2nd, when he once again returned to duty and saw another promotion, this time to Sergeant on May 1, 1916. In his records, it was noted on July 17, 1916, that he was "Severely reprimanded 17/7/16 for conduct to the prejudice of good order & military discipline in that when in charge of a hospital picquet he was absent & slept in a ward 15/7/16". His health remains stable until November 27, 1916, when he was admitted to No. 1 Canadian General Hospital at Etaples with Myalgia (muscle pain) before returning to duty on December 2nd. A little over two weeks later, he was admitted again, this time for ten days for another Inflamed Stomach and Gastritis on December 18th, before returning to duty on the 27th. By the Spring of 1917, illness returned, as he reported "Sick" in France on April 10, 1917, "with cough, night sweats, & losing weight", performing orderly room detail starting on the 17th. At this point, he was invalided to England on April 22nd, where he was struck off strength and posted to the Canadian Army Medical Corps Depot at Shorncliffe with Chronic Bronchitis. He was shuffled to the London Military Hospital on the 17th, before being discharged on the 25th. Barter was discharged from the 1st Canadian Convalescent Depot to the Canadian Army Medical Depot on June 6, 1917. The medical authorities determined that it would be best that he returned to Canada and was issued a furlough on July 1917. While in Canada, he was stuck off strength as having been declared "illegally absent" on November 30, 1917. After six months, he returned from furlough on January 9, 1918 at Shorncliffe. His Chronic Bronchitis soon flared up again, as he was admitted to No. 11 Canadian General Hospital, Moore Barracks on February 2nd, then transferred on March 31st for further treatment at the Canadian Special Hospital in London. It was here that it was determined that he had Pulmonary Tuberculosis and was subsequently treated for the next five weeks, before he was invalided to Canada on May 6, 1918. Upon his arrival at No. 4 District Depot in Montreal, he began immediate treatment for his condition. In his Medical History of an Invalid, dated June 12, 1918 at No. 4 District Depot in Montreal, documented by the Assistant Director, Medical Services, it states that he was diagnosed with Pulmonary Tuberculosis, the date and place of original noted as being in France in December 1915 and that the Bacillus Tuberculosis was aggravated by his service. It was noted that he was a "Well nourished man. No cough or expectoration. Chest well formed. There is some retraction of right supra & infra clavical regions. There is little is any impairment of note at right apex. Expiration prolonged & harsh with numerous moist crepitations which do not clear up on coughing. Left apex shows nothing but an occasional moist vale which disappears on coughing." It went on to state that he "Had good health previous to enlistment in Oct./14. He went to France in Apl./15 and entered hospital Sept./15 suffering from influenza. Returned to duty 21 days later, and re-admitted in on Dec. 22/15 with cough and loss of weight. Was recommended by Col. Finlay to go to England, but was kept in France at orderly room duty until April/17. Was then invalided to England, suspected T.B.C. Was given furlough to Canada July to Dec./17, during which he spat a little blood-streaked sputum. On return to England was admitted to hospital in Feb./18, and boarded for Canada." The Medical Board recommended that he be discharged as "Medically Unfit" and classified as Category "E" (unfit for service in Categories A (general service), B (service abroad, not general service) and C (home service (Canada only)). It was noted that his disability was "Permanent" and that he "refuses treatment by (the) Invalid Soldiers Commission". Barter was discharged on July 2, 1918 at No. 4 District Depot in Montreal, still qualified to return to journalism in his civilian life, with his service conduct noted as "Very Good", even with the two previous documented discressions. He was credited with having served in Canada, the United Kingdom and France, earning him the Trio. Barter passed away on February 10, 1956.  
Back To Top