Tel: 1(905) 634-3848

Text: 1(905) 906-3848

Purveyors of Authentic Militaria

eMedals-A First War Medal Trio to former NWMP; 2nd Canadian Infantry

Item: C3267

A First War Medal Trio to former NWMP; 2nd Canadian Infantry

Sold For


View Bid History

Not available.

A First War Medal Trio to former NWMP; 2nd Canadian Infantry

A First War Meadl Trio to former NWMP; 2nd Canadian Infantry - 1914-15 Star (81423 L. SJT R.A. HUGHES. 2/CAN:INF:); British War Medal (81423 SJT. R.A. HUGHES. 2-CAN.INF.); and Victory Medal (81423 SJT. R.A. HUGHES. 2-CAN.INF.). Naming is officially impressed. Court-mounted with dual push pins, light contact, near extremely fine. Accompanied by his Identification Bracelet (steel, stamped "SGT. R.A. HUGHES 81423 2ND BN CANADIANS", marked "EPNS" on the reverse, 27.7 mm x 46.3 mm, on a wrist chain with functioning clasp) and copies of his Attestation Paper, Service Records, Medical Records, Will and Department of Veterans Affairs Death Confirmation.   Footnote: Reginald Austin Hughes was born on March 28, 1882 in Llangattock, Nighuisk, Monmouthshire, Wales. He signed his Attestation Paper on December 12, 1914 in Winnipeg, Manitoba with the 32nd Battalion, Manitoba and Saskatchewan Regiment, stating that he had three and a half years service in South Africa and three months service with the Royal Northwest Mounted Police (Royal Canadian Mounted Police), that he was not married and that his trade was that of Farmer. While still in Winnipeg, he was promoted to Corporal on March 15, 1915. He arrived in France on May 2, 1915, transferring to the 2nd Battalion in France on the 5th. His records indicate that he was admitted to 1 Canadian Field Ambulance, on August 8, 1916, with "corns" on his feet, being discharged the next day. He received additional medical attention at 1st General Hospital on August 29th. By November 1916, he is back in England. Hughes was transferred to the Eastern Ontario Regimental Depot at Seaford on Septemebr 5, 1917, eventually making way to the Canadian Forestry Corps on October 25th, attaining the rank of Sergeant. He sailed for Canada on the S.S. Justilia on December 7, 1917. His Medical History of an Invalid, dated December 24, 1917 at Winnipeg stated that he had eighteen months service in France. He suffered from "Myalgia" (muscle pain) and impaired function of his feet, incurred in June 1915 in Flanders, from exposure to the elements, along with calloused feet. It also states that he had "Otitis Media" (inflamation of the middle ear), which pre-existed enlistment but was aggravated after going on active service, having had his ear syringed at dressing stations irregularly. Hughes died March 13, 1962 at Shaughnessy Hospital, Vancouver, Britsih Columbia, two weeks shy of his 80th birthday. 
Back To Top