Tel: 1(905) 634-3848

Text: 1(905) 906-3848

Purveyors of Authentic Militaria

eMedals-A First War M.M. to the Canadian Heavy Trench Mortar Battery

Item: C2871

A First War M.M. to the Canadian Heavy Trench Mortar Battery



Optional Payments Available

Layaway PolicyItem is available for our layaway plan.

Installments to be paid every month.
Your CC will be charged automatic.
We don't save your CC details. You are secure.

* Final amount varies depending on shipping, tax & other charges.

Layaway Policy

eMedals is pleased to offer flexible layaway services to all clients. Our layaway program offers the opportunity for clients to make payments on eligible items over period of time.

Minimum deposit of 30%, of the total price of your order including all applicable taxes and shipping charges, is due when the merchandise is put on layaway. The total price of your order must be paid within 6 months from the date of original purchase.

You may make additional payments at any time by accessing the Layaway section in your account.

Your contract will be automatically cancelled and ordered merchandise will be returned to stock if you have not completed payments in full by the 3 month deadline.

You may pay by cash, check, wire transfer, Paypal, or credit card.

Available for immediate shipping.

A First War M.M. to the Canadian Heavy Trench Mortar Battery

A First War M.M. to the Canadian Heavy Trench Mortar Battery - Military Medal, George V (706330 GNR: M. HENDERSON. CAN: F.A.); and British War Medal (706330 GNR. M. HENDERSON. C.F.A.). Naming is officially impressed. Un-mounted, bruising on the BWM, light contact, cleaned, very fine. Accompanied by copies of his Index Cards, Attestation Paper, Service Records, Medical Records, Pay Records, Military Will and Discharge Certificates, along with a copy of the London Gazette 31430, page 8344 (confirming his award of the Military Medal) and a Colour Photograph of his Grave Marker in Victoria, British Columbia. Footnote: Magnus Robert Henderson was born on November 26, 1897 in Duncan, British Columbia, the son of Robert Sinclair Henderson and Emily Taylor Henderson. He was stricken with a bout of Pneumonia in 1913. He signed his Attestation Paper as a Private (706330) with the 103rd Infantry Battalion, on December 16, 1915, in Duncan, at the age of 22, naming his next-of-kin as his father, R.S. Henderson of Duncan, stating that he had two years' previous military service in the Cadets as a Lieutenant, that he was not married and that his trade was that of Student. The Battalion itself was raised and mobilized in Victoria, British Columbia under the authority of G.O. 151, December 22, 1915. The Battalion sailed July 24, 1916 aboard the S.S. Olympic, under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel E.C.J. Henniker with a strength of 37 officers and 939 other ranks, arriving in England on the 31st. He was hospitalized for two weeks with a case of the Measles, from February 11 to 25, 1916. Henderson was transferred to the 4th Divisional Artillery Headquarters at Bramshott on October 28, 1916, which was later re-designated the 5th Divisional Artillery on March 3, 1917. He was transferred as a Gunner to the 13th Brigade, Canadian Field Artillery at Milford Camp on August 11, 1917 and posted to the 55th Battery. Six days later, he was transferred to the Heavy Trench Mortar Battery on August 17th and posted to the 2nd Reserve Brigade on September 3rd. Henderson was struck off strength on proceeding overseas to France on December 12th, arriving the next day, then joining the Canadian Artillery Pool on the 15th. Henderson was awarded one Good Conduct Badge on December 16, 1917 and posted to the Canadian Corps Reinforcement Camp on the 18th. He was transferred to the 17th Battery, 5th Brigade in the field on March 8, 1918. In his Medical Records, it indicates that he had previously acquired "Albuminuria" (a condition when albumin is present in the urine, which can be an indicator of damage to the kidneys or excessive salt intake. It can also occur in patients with long-standing diabetes) and later, was diagnosed with "Tachycardia" (a heart rate that exceeds the normal range), the latter having been acknowledged on January 19, 1919 while he was in Germany. Henderson suffered a laceration wound to his right knee and was admitted to No. 5 Canadian Field Ambulance on February 23, 1919, then transferred to No. 4 Canadian Field Ambulance on the 26th, where he would spend the next twenty-three days recuperating, before being discharged on March 18th. One month after his discharge from hospital, he returned to England on April 15, 1919 for return to Canada, sailing on May 14th. Henderson was discharged upon demobilization at Dispersal Station "M", Military District No. 10 in Winnipeg, Manitoba, on May 26, 1919, entitled to wear the War Service Badge, Class "A", number 187708. For his First World War service, he was awarded the 1914-15 Star, the British War Medal and the Victory Medal, with only the whereabouts of the second of these known, as presented here. He was awarded the Military Medal for bravery in the field, as mentioned in the Third Supplement to the London Gazette 31430 of Tuesday, July 1, 1919, on Thursday, July 3, 1919, page 8344. In his Military Will, dated February 8, 1917, he stated that "In the event of of my death I give the whole of my property and effects to my father, R.S. Henderson, Duncan, B.C. Canada". The Will was of course never executed, as he survived the war. Magnus Henderson died on March 11, 1943, at the age of 45, and is buried in Royal Oak Cemetery in Victoria, British Columbia, his grave marker inscribed "706330 GUNNER MAGNUS R. HENDERSON C.F.A. C.E.F. 11TH MARCH, 1943."
Back To Top