A First War Imperial Prussian Automobile Corps Dagger
A First War Imperial Prussian Automobile Corps Dagger - Measuring 460 mm, with the scabbard on, this dagger features a 315 mm etched steel blade, with a sharpened edge, remaining bright and crisp, with a semi-sharp tip, the reverse ricasso unmarked. The blade itself exhibits a beautifully engraved ornate fillagree pattern on both sides and on the blade spine, the obverse inscribed "MIT GOTT FÜR KAISER u. REICH" (With God For Kaiser and Reich) in a ribbon banner, the reverse illustrating a helmeted tire with a cross-bearing flag in the background. It exhibits faint scratches overall, common to extraction and return to the scabbard, with a natural shine, nicks on the blade, better than very fine. The thin red felt blade washer is soiled but remains intact. The fittings are silvered bronze, the obverse crossguard bearing a horn motif in the centre horizontal block. The bone grip is smooth but has yellowed with age, exhibiting light crazing, complemented by six rows of tightly wrapped twisted silver wire. The pommel exhibits a nice-detailed Imperial Prussian crown, with open variant finials in the naval style, the dagger measuring 443 mm in length overall, with a loose crossguard and extensive silvering loss overall on the fittings. The body of the scabbard is wrapped in brown leather, well-stitched together along the rear seam. The locket and chape in silvered bronze, the snub-nose finial having been dented inward. The throat has a slightly soiled red felt washer, with a frog stud on the locket. The scabbard measures 328 mm in length, exhibiting extensive silvering loss on the locket and chape, while the leather has the expected age wear. Very fine. Footnote: The Prussian Automobile Corps (Kraftfahr Korps) was established in 1905, as an adjunct to the Imperial Automobile Club and was organized along paramilitary lines. Its goal was to improve the state of motor transport in Prussia and to train drivers for the army.