Tel: 1(905) 634-3848

Text: 1(905) 906-3848

Purveyors of Authentic Militaria

eMedals-A First War Group to the 4th Canadian Infantry

Item: C3494

A First War Group to the 4th Canadian Infantry



Layaway Policy

eMedals is pleased to offer flexible layaway services to all clients. Our layaway program offers the opportunity for clients to make payments on eligible items over period of time.

Minimum deposit of 30%, of the total price of your order including all applicable taxes and shipping charges, is due when the merchandise is put on layaway. The total price of your order must be paid within 6 months from the date of original purchase.

You may make additional payments at any time by accessing the Layaway section in your account.

Your contract will be automatically cancelled and ordered merchandise will be returned to stock if you have not completed payments in full by the 3 month deadline.

You may pay by cash, check, wire transfer, Paypal, or credit card.

Available for immediate shipping.

A First War Group to the 4th Canadian Infantry

A First War Group to the 4th Canadian Infantry - 1914-15 Star (10559 Pte J.J. TIERNEY. 4/CAN:INF:); British War Medal (10559 PTE. J.J. TIERNEY. 4-CAN.INF.); and Victory Medal (10559 PTE. J.J. TIERNEY. 4-CAN.INF.). Naming is officially impressed. Unmounted, very crisp detail, BWM has been cleaned and exhibits wear on the edge, moderate gilt loss on the VM, light contact, better than very fine. Accompanied by a CD containing twenty-three pages with copies of his Index Cards, Attestation Paper, Service Records, Medical Records, Discharge Certificates and Will.  Footnote: John Joseph Tierney was born on November 2, 1879 in London, England. He signed his Attestation Paper on September 23, 1914 at Camp Valcartier, Quebec with the 4th Infantry Battalion, at the age of 34, naming his next-of-kin as his wife, Charlotte Agnes Tierney of Hamilton, Ontario, stating the he had eight years' previous service with the Grenadier Guards (participating in the London Campaign (Egypt) in 1898 and in the Boer War (South Africa) in 1901-1902), that he was in an Active Militia, that he was married and that his trade was that of Lumber Shipper. The Battalion was raised in Central Ontario with mobilization headquarters at Camp Valcartier, under the authority of P.C.O. 2067, August 6, 1914. The Battalion sailed October 3, 1914 under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel R.H. Labatt, with a strength of 42 officers and 1,084 other ranks. Tierney soon found himself transferred from the 4th Battalion to No. 1 General Hospital on February 3, 1915 as Staff Batman. He was appointment Batman to Colonel Moore on April 24th, then struck off strength to the 4th Infantry Battalion as Batman to Colonel Labatt on proceeding overseas to the French theatre on May 13, 1915. He was taken on strength at No. 3 General Base Depot at Rouelles, France on September 11, 1915, and subsequently transferred to England on the 16th, to act as Major Handley's Batman, taken on strength of the 3rd Company, 12th Battalion at Shorncliffe on the 19th. He returned overseas with Major Handley on January 27, 1916 and was transferred to the 4th Battalion onFebruary 4th. He was admitted to No. 2 Field Ambulance on June 7th with a case of Stomatitis (an inflammation of the mucous lining of any of the structures in the mouth, which may involve the cheeks, gums, tongue, lips, throat, and roof of floor of the mouth) and after four days treatment, returned to duty with the 4th Battalion on the 11th. Two days later, on June 13, 1916, he was admitted to No. 2 Canadian Field Ambulance with what was initially thought to be a Sprained Right Ankle, returning to duty on the 15th. However, he was admitted again, this time to No. 1 Canadian Field Ambulance on June 30th. In his Proceedings of a Medical Board Report, dated January 30, 1917 at Hastings, it was noted that Tierney was in the European theatre for eighteen months when he was "knocked over by a shell explosion" near Zillebeke, Belgium. Another Proceedings of a Medical Board Report, dated August 19, 1916 at CCAC Folkestone clarified the incident: "While making (an) attack (he) was blown up by (a) shell. Right knee was injured. Sent to 1st Division Rest as he could not walk. Knee was swollen. 11 days in Rest Company then to duty. Knee has been giving trouble only once. Unable to fully extend knee. Unable to march." Over those two weeks, the injury proved more serious than first thought. The official diagnosis was Synovitis (inflammation of the synovial membrane) right knee, which was causing him joint pain. He was transferred to Mont des Cats, France on July 3rd before returning to the 4th Battalion on July 10th. He returned to No. 1 CFA with knee issues again on August 9th. At this point, he was taken on strength at the Canadian Base Depot onAugust 13th, Classified "C" on August 15th, then transferred to England and taken on strength at the Canadian Casualty Assembly Centre on August 17, 1916. He is documented as having been "on command" at the Canadian Army Medical Corps on the 21st, before returning to the CCAC on September 11th, then transferred to ADMS at Folkestone on September 15th. He was attached to ADMS for four months, before returning to the CCAC on January 4, 1917. In his Proceedings of a Medical Board Report, dated January 30, 1917 at Hastings, in regards to the injury to his right knee, it was noted that he "Complains now of constant pain in (his) knee" and the official designation of "Chronic Arthritis" was attached to his condition. Two days later, he was transferred to the General Depot at Hastings on February 1, 1917 and with his knee issues, it was decided that a lighter posting was in order, as he was transferred to the Canadian Army Postal Corps at London on February 24th and assigned to No. 1 Detachment, Canadian Army Postal Corps. After one month, he was transferred to No. 5 Detachment, CAPC at London onMarch 27th, then returned to No. 1, CAPC at West Sandling on September 4th. He was to remain here for the next fifteen months, until December 5, 1918, and with the ceasing of hostilities, he was struck off strength to the General Depot at London. Tierney was transferred to No. 2 Military District Wing on January 19, 1919, before being transferred to the Canadian Concentration Camp at Kinmel Park on February 11th. He was stuck off strength of the Overseas Military Forces of Canada, embarking the United Kingdom for Canada aboard H.M.T. Mauretania on June 28, 1919. Upon return to Canada, he was taken on strength at No. 4 District Depot in Montreal, Quebec on July 8th, then discharged upon demobilization on October 6, 1919, one month shy of his fortieth birthday. He stated that his intended place of residence was the Khaki Club in Montreal. In his Will, dated February 1, 1915, he stated "In the event of my death I give the whole of my property and effects to my wife, Mrs. A. Tierney, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada". It was, of course, never executed due to his surviving the war. In his addition to his Trio, he was entitled to wear the War Service Badge, Class "A", Number 94369.
Back To Top