Tel: 1(905) 634-3848

Text: 1(905) 906-3848

Purveyors of Authentic Militaria

eMedals-A First War Group to 5th Canadian Infantry CEF

Item: C3730

A First War Group to 5th Canadian Infantry CEF

Sold For


View Bid History

Not available.

A First War Group to 5th Canadian Infantry CEF

A First War Group to 5th Canadian Infantry CEF - 1914-15 Star (440859 Pte G. OXENHAM. 5/CAN:INF:); British War Medal (440859 PTE. G. OXENHAM. 5-CAN.INF.); and Victory Medal (440859 PTE. G. OXENHAM. 5-CAN.INF.). Naming is officially impressed. Un-mounted, cleaned, silvered, bronzing on Star and VM faintly evident, light contact, edge wear on the BWM, original ribbons, fine. Accompanied by a 10 mm x 102 mm three-ribbon Ribbon Bar of same and copies of his Index Cards, Attestation Paper, Service Records, Pay Records, Medical Records, Discharge Certificates and Department of Veteran Affairs Death Notification.  Footnote: George Oxenham was born on November 26, 1894 in Islington, London, England. He signed his Attestation Paper with the 53rd Infantry Battalion on May 17, 1915 at Saskatoon, Saskatchewan and was sent to Sewell Camp (the name of the camp was changed later in 1915 to "Camp Hughes" in honour of Major-General Sir Sam Hughes, Canada's Minister of Militia and Defence at the time) in Manitoba, naming his next-of-kin as his mother, Emma Oxenham of Saskatoon, stating that he had no previous military service, that he was not married and that his trade was that of Teamster. He sailed from Montreal, Quebec on June 17, 1915 aboard the S.S. Missanabie. In England, he was transferred to the 32nd Reserve Battalion on September 14, 1915, and again transferred at the end of the year, this time to the 5th Infantry Battalion for overseas service in the French theatre on December 31, 1915, taken on strength in France on January 1, 1916 and joining his unit on the 11th. In the Fall, he was admitted to No. 1 Australian General Hospital on September 12, 1916, then transferred to No. 2 Convalescent Depot at Rouen on the 13th and diagnosed "P.U.O." (Pyrexia of Unknown Origin = fever), before returning to Base Depot at Harfleur on the 15th. Oxenham departed for the 1st Canadian Entrenchment Battalion a week later, on September 22nd, arriving on the 23rd. He was granted one Good Conduct Badge on May 19, 1917 before being attached to the 1st Canadian Divisional Headquarters as Permanent Traffic Control on the 29th. However, he ran afoul of the military authorities, as he was placed in confinement and was awaiting trial on December 13, 1917. He was later tried and convicted of Drunkenness while on Active Service with Traffic Control and sentenced to 28 days Field Punishment No. 1. Oxenham was admitted to No. 11 Canadian Field Ambulance on May 22, 1918, where he was examined for "defective vision", then discharged to duty on the 26th. Oxenham was granted permission to marry on March 8, 1919, taking Emma Oxenham as his wife. At the end of the month, he was diagnosed at Rouen with Hypermetropia in both eyes (a defect of vision caused by an imperfection in the eye - often when the eyeball is too short or the lens cannot become round enough - causing difficulty focusing on near objects, and in extreme cases causing a sufferer to be unable to focus on objects at any distance in both eyes) on March 31, 1919. It was recommended the he be placed in Category "E" (unfit for service in Categories A (general service), B (service abroad, not general service) and C (home service (Canada only)) and was certified by medical authorities that he did not require treatment. He was attached to the Canadian Convalescent Depot at Buxton for return to Canada on May 6th. Oxenham was struck off strength to Canada on June 17, 1919, arriving in Quebec City on the 24th. He was discharged upon demobilization, as being medical unfit for further General Service at Quebec Depot on July 6th, credited with having served in France with the 5th Infantry Battalion and the 1st Division Traffic Control for a total of thirty-seven months and entitled to wear the War Service Badge, Class "A", number 132538. His proposed residence was to be in Saskatoon with his new wife, Ellen Oxenham. He died January 20, 1973 at University Hospital in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, at the age of 78.
Back To Top