Tel: 1(905) 634-3848

Text: 1(905) 906-3848

Purveyors of Authentic Militaria

eMedals-A First War Canadian Pair to the "Little Black Devils"

Item: C2709

A First War Canadian Pair to the "Little Black Devils"

Sold For


View Bid History

Not available.

A First War Canadian Pair to the "Little Black Devils"

A First War Canadian Pair to the "Little Black Devils"  - British War Medal (460440 A. CPL. C.F. WARING. 8-CAN.INF.); and Victory Medal (460440 A. CPL. C.F. WARING. 8-CAN.INF.). Naming is officially impressed. Un-mounted, original ribbon on the VM, light contact, cleaned, better than very fine. Accompanied by his Identification Tags (bakelite, one octagonal, one round, stamped "460440 C F WARING 8 BN P CANADIANS", 33 mm x 38 mm, 35.5 mm respectively, together on a vintage string), along with copies of his Index Cards, Attestation Papers, Service Records, Medical Records, Discharge Certificates and War Diaries for the 8th Infantry Battalion (September 1916 and August 1918).   Footnote: Charles Ferdinand Waring was born on September 22, 1896 in Winnipeg, Manitoba. He signed his Attestation Paper with the 61st Infantry Battalion "Winnipeg Battalion", on June 14, 1915 in Winnipeg, Manitoba, at the age of 18, naming his next-of-kin as his sister, Miss Clarissa Waring of Winnipeg, later changed to Mrs. J.B. Harrison of Winnipeg, who later resided in Hallington, Surrey, Kent, England, stating that he had no previous military service, that he was not married and that his trade was that of Clerk. The Battalion was raised and mobilized in Winnipeg, Manitoba under the authority of G.O. 103A, August 15, 1915. The Battalion sailed from Canada on April 1, 1916 under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel F.J. Murray with a strength of 37 officers and 1,091 other ranks, arriving in Liverpool, England on the 12th. Six and a half weeks later he was appointed Acting Corporal on May 29, 1916, followed three weeks later by his admission to Moore Barracks Hospital at Shorncliffe with a case of the Measles on June 17th, where he was isolated and treated for two weeks, before being discharged on July 2nd. Upon his release from hospital, he was transferred to the 11th Reserve Battalion on July 6th. Waring reverted to the ranks on proceeding overseas, being transferred to the 8th Infantry Battalion "Winnipeg Rifles" on August 10, 1916, arriving in France on the 12th, joining his new unit shortly thereafter. Six and half weeks after joining the 8th Infantry Battalion, Waring suffered gun shot wounds to his left arm and elbow during the Battle of the Somme, while at the Hessian Trench, on September 27, 1916. He was invalided to England and transferred to the Canadian Casualty Assembly Centre at Folkestone, then admitted to the Military Hospital at Colchester on the 29th for treatment. Two weeks later, he was transferred to the Canadian Convalescent Hospital, Woodcote Park at Epsom on October 10th, where he recuperated for two weeks, before being discharged on the 25th and attached to the Manitoba Regimental Depot. He was appointed Acting Corporal on April 4, 1917 and awarded a Good Conduct Badge on June 14, 1917. Waring was transferred to the 18th Reserve Battalion on January 28, 1918 and drafted once again by the 8th Infantry Battalion on March 23rd, returning to the French theatre and joining his unit on April 2nd. He suffered a bout of Influenza and was admitted to No. 2 Canadian Field Ambulance on April 17, 1918, treated for two days, then discharged on the 19th. Waring was with the 8th Infantry Battalion at the Amiens Defence Line, during the Battle of Amiens, which was the opening phase of the Allied offensive later known as the Hundred Days Offensive that ultimately led to the end of the First World War, when he suffered a gun shot wound to his right chest on August 12, 1918. He was admitted to No. 1 Canadian Field Ambulance, then invalided to England and posted to the Manitoba Regimental Depot on August 13th. He was immediately hospitalized at 2nd Southern General Hospital at Bristol, remaining there for three weeks treatment, before being transferred to the Canadian Convalescent Hospital Bear Wood on September 3rd. After ten days at Bear Wood, he was transferred to the 3rd Canadian Discharge Depot on September 18th. Upon the ceasing of hostilities, he was transferred to the 18th Reserve Battalion on November 22nd, then attached to the Canadian Concentration Camp at Kinmel Park on December 19, 1918, for return to Canada on January 12, 1919. Waring was discharged upon demobilization at No. 10 District Depot in Winnipeg, on February 21, 1919, credited with having served in Canada, the United Kingdom, France and Belgium. For his First World War service, he was awarded the British War Medal and the Victory Medal. He died on April 4, 1961, at the age of 64.  
Back To Top