Tel: 1(905) 634-3848

Text: 1(905) 906-3848

Purveyors of Authentic Militaria

eMedals-A First War Canadian Military Medal to the 4th Infantry Battalion

Item: C2851

A First War Canadian Military Medal to the 4th Infantry Battalion



Optional Payments Available

Layaway PolicyItem is available for our layaway plan.

Installments to be paid every month.
Your CC will be charged automatic.
We don't save your CC details. You are secure.

* Final amount varies depending on shipping, tax & other charges.

Layaway Policy

eMedals is pleased to offer flexible layaway services to all clients. Our layaway program offers the opportunity for clients to make payments on eligible items over period of time.

Minimum deposit of 30%, of the total price of your order including all applicable taxes and shipping charges, is due when the merchandise is put on layaway. The total price of your order must be paid within 6 months from the date of original purchase.

You may make additional payments at any time by accessing the Layaway section in your account.

Your contract will be automatically cancelled and ordered merchandise will be returned to stock if you have not completed payments in full by the 3 month deadline.

You may pay by cash, check, wire transfer, Paypal, or credit card.

Available for immediate shipping.

A First War Canadian Military Medal to the 4th Infantry Battalion

A First War Canadian Military Medal to the 4th Infantry Battalion - George V (18950 Pte W.W. GREGORY. 4/BN: 1/C. ONT: R.). Naming is officially impressed. Blackened lettering, lacquered, light contact, bruised, very fine. Accompanied by copies of his Index Cards, Attestation Paper, Service Records, Medical Records, Pay Records and Discharge Certificate, along with two colour photgraphs of his Grave Marker.   Footnote: Windle William Gregory was born on June 23, 1883, in Mason City, West Virginia, United States of America. He enlisted with the 101st Regiment "Edmonton Fusiliers" on August 14, 1914 and was subsequently transferred, signing his Attestation Paper as a Private with the 9th Infantry Battalion, on September 23, 1914, at Valcartier Camp, Quebec, at the age of 31, naming his next-of-kin as J.A. Gregory of Washington, Washington County, Pennsylvania, stating that he had no previous military service, that he was not married and that his trade was that of Labourer. The Battalion was raised in Edmonton, Alberta and Ottawa, Ontario and mobilized at Camp Valcartier, Quebec under the authority of P.C.O. 2067, August 6, 1914. The Battalion sailed October 3, 1914 from Quebec City, Quebec aboard the S.S. Zealand, with a strength of 44 officers and 1,101 other ranks under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel S.M. Rogers. Once in England, the Battalion was re-designated the 9th Reserve Battalion and formed part of the Canadian Training Depot, located at Tidworth. He was promoted to Lance Corporal on November 25, 1914. Gregory was struck off strength of the 9th Infantry Battalion and embarked for service in the French theatre on April 26, 1915, taken on strength of the 4th Infantry Battalion on May 2nd. He reverted to the rank of Private at his own request on July 9th. Gregory began what would be a series of hospitalizations, as he was admitted to No. 2 Canadian Field Ambulance with a case of Acute Bronchitis on November 25, 1915. He was transferred to No.1 Canadian Field Ambulance the same day, spending three days recuperating, before being discharged to duty on the 28th. It the late Summer of 1916, he became ill on August 24th at St-Omer. As his medical record states: "Just after completing a 4 day march from Patricias lines to St-Omer, he felt it difficult to keep up with the battalion & could not carry his pack, consulted M.O. (Medical Officer) & he marked him D.A.H. (Disordered Action of the Heart) & sent him to A.D.M.S. (Assistant Director of Medical Services)". His heart issues forced him to be declared Class "C" and transferred to the Canadian Casualty Assembly Centre on August 31st. He was invalided to England and admitted to the Canadian Army Medical Corps Convalescent Hospital at Woodcote Park, Epsom, with a case of Disordered Action of the Heart (DAH), on September 12, 1916, where he would be hospitalized for the next four months, before being discharged on January 13, 1917. His health continued to be an issue, as he returned to Woodcote Park, Epsom on March 15, 1917, followed by his admission the next day to the Military Hospital at Shorncliffe, then transferred on the 17th to Canadian Special Hospital at Etchinghill, Lyminge, Kent, with a case of "V.D.G." (venereal disease, gonorrhea), a nineteen day stay, before being discharged on April 5th. Gregory was struck off strength of the 4th Infantry Battalion and transferred to the 3rd Reserve Battalion at West Sandling on June 2, 1917. Three days later, he found himself returning to the Canadian Special Hospital at Etchinghill, Lyminge, Kent, initially assessed as "N.Y.D." (Not Yet Determined) on June 5th, which was later changed to "V.D.G." (venereal disease, gonorrhea), forcing him to be hospitalized for another two weeks, before being discharged on June 19th. Gregory eventually was declared fit enough for combat, returning to France, arriving at the Canadian Base Depot on March 29, 1918, then departing on April 2nd for the 4th Infantry Battalion in the field. His health once again failed him, as he was admitted to No. 3 Canadian Field Ambulance with a case of Influenza, on June 25, 1918, then discharged to duty on July 2nd. Gregory's only war related injury occurred that Fall, on October 1, 1918, as he was wounded in action as fighting raged along the Hindenburg Line, suffering a gun shot wound to his chest. He was initially assessed at No. 1 Canadian Casualty Clearing Station, before being admitted to No. 8 Stationary Hospital at Wimereux on the 2nd. He was subsequently invalided to England and admitted to No. 2 Western General Hospital in Manchester on October 11th. Twenty-five days later, he was transferred to Canadian Army Medical Corps Convalescent Hospital at Woodcote Park, Epsom, on November 5th, where he would recuperate for another ten days, before being discharged on the 15th. In the new year, he was posted to No. 1 Canadian Convalescent Depot on January 4, 1919. He was placed on command to "B" Wing at the Canadian Concentration Camp at Kinmel Park on January 12, 1919, struck off strength on the 29th for return to Canada. He sailed that day aboard the S.S. Baltic, arriving in Halifax, Nova Scotia on February 6, 1919. Gregory was posted to No. 13 Military District in Calgary, Alberta, on February 12, 1919, then discharged upon demobilization on March 15th. Three and a half months after being discharged, Gregory was awarded the Military Medal for bravery in the field, as mentioned in the Third Supplement to the London Gazette 31430 of Tuesday, July 1, 1919, on Thursday, July 3, 1919, page 8343. For his First World War service, he was awarded the 1914-15 Star, the British War Medal and the Victory Medal, the whereabouts of which are unknown. He died on March 16, 1959, at the age of 75.    
Back To Top