Tel: 1(905) 634-3848

Text: 1(905) 906-3848

Purveyors of Authentic Militaria

eMedals-A First War American Group to Lieut. Bounds; DSC Recommendation

Item: W2851

A First War American Group to Lieut. Bounds; DSC Recommendation

On December 5, 2015 Auction Won For


View Bid History

Not available.

A First War American Group to Lieut. Bounds; DSC Recommendation

A First War American Group to Lieut. Bounds; DSC Recommendation - Victory Medal, 3 Clasps - DEFENSIVE SECTOR, MEUSE-ARGONNE, ST. MIHIEL. Original ribbon with brooch pinback, near mint. Accompanied by a 5th Infantry Division Sleeve Insignia (red wool, 50 mm x 83 mm); his Corporal's Stripes (two beige embroidered chevron stripes sewn upon a brownish-green wool base, 26 mm x 75 mm); two First Lieutenant Rank Insignia (silvered silver, 8.5 mm x 18 mm each, pinbacks); a Rank Insignia (silver, 9.3 mm x 27.8 mm, pinback); two Infantry Branch Insignias (bronze, one is 25.5 mm x 25.5 mm, missing its attachments; the other is 16 mm x 29.5 mm, pinback, missing its latch); a U.S. Army Shoulder Insignia (bronze, 15.2 mm x 30.2 mm, pinback); a U.S. Army Collar Insignia (bronze, 11 mm x 22 mm, pinback); an Army Rifle Marksmanship with an Expert Rifleman Clasp (silver, 42 mm x 51 mm inclusive of the clasp); an Army Uniform Button (blackened bronze, maker marked "SCOVILL MF'G CO WATERBURY" on the reverse, 22.8 mm, intact loop); a Delaware Infantry Regiment Uniform Button (bronze, maker marked "THE WARNOCK CO." on the reverse, 15.5 mm, intact loop); a Photograph of Bounds in his 5th Infantry Division Corporal's Uniform (black and white, matte finish, 86 mm x 135 mm); a Studio Portrait of Bounds in Uniform wearing an Army Marksmanship Sharpshooter Badge (sepia-toned, matte finish, 100 mm x 152 mm, in a Studio Folder inscribed "Judd Chattanooga" below the photo, 170 mm x 280 mm); a Photograph of Bounds in Uniform taken from the Chest Up (black and white, matte finish, 140 mm x 247 mm); along with a binder containing his Delaware National Guard Discharge Certificate (in the rank of Sergeant of Company "E" of the 2nd Sep. Battalion of Infantry National Guard, dated May 31, 1917, printed in black ink on a paper stock, 215 mm x 277 mm); his Army Commission Document (naming Bounds as a 1st Lieutenant of Infantry, effective October 8, 1918, recorded on January 22, 1919, printed in black ink on a paper stock, 204 mm x 267 mm); his State of Delaware Commission Document (appointing him Captain with the Coast Artillery Corps, dated June 6, 1921, two signatures and State of Delaware seal, printed in black ink on a thick paper stock, 297 mm x 382 mm); a Typewritten Letter Recommending Bounds for the Distinguished Service Cross (from Captain M.D. O'Neal, 6th Infantry, addressed to the Commanding General, 5th Division, dated June 2, 1919); two Newspaper Articles; a Map of Luxembourg (named in handwritten black ink "H.C. Bounds / 1st Lt., 6th Infty." on the reverse, printed in four colours on a thin paper stock, 300 mm x 385 mm); a Map of Trier (AKA Treves), Germany (printed in black ink on a light brown paper stock, 139 mm x 179 mm); and assorted documents and letters of correspondence. Footnote: Harvey Chaplain Bounds was born on September 29, 1893 in Randallstown, Roslyn, Maryland, the son of the Reverend George W. Bounds. He was a student at Delaware College in Newark, Delaware for four years, where he befriended two other students, George Harvey Ferguson and J. Wilson O'Daniel, both of which would serve with him in the military in the years following. Bounds enlisted with Company "E", 1st Delaware, Infantry, on January 31, 1913 and served four and a half years in the Delaware National Guard, First Delaware Infantry, which included eights months' Federal Service from June 18, 1916 to February 15, 1917 on the Mexican border, along with the aforementioned Ferguson and O'Daniel. He was discharged on January 31, 1916 and re-enlisted the same day, serving until his second discharge on May 31, 1917, in order to attended the Officers Training Camp at Fort Myer, Virginia. While at Fort Myer, it was noted that his educational qualifications and physical condition as "Excellent", and that his military experience was "Good". He took the Officer's Examination on July 23rd, scoring 79.32%. Ferguson and O'Daniel were also at the Camp, with all three winning their commissions. He followed his training with a brief posting to Chickamunga Park, Georgia beginning on August 27, 1917, taking time out to marry Mary Mildred Bounds (nee Cochrane), before departing for France. Bounds served with Company "H", 6th Infantry, 5th Division in the French theatre (along with Ferguson and O'Daniel) and signed a letter after the war, on July 9, 1920, sworn in front of a Notary Public, stating "that he participated with his regiment in the defense of the "ANNOULD" and "ST. DIE" Sectors (Vosges), under the 33rd French Division from June 22nd to August 28th, 1918, including the "FRAPPELLE" engagement (St. Die Sector) of August 17th, 1918; that he took part on the "ST. MIHIEL" offensive of September 12th - 16th, 1918, and the "ARGONNE"-"MEUSE" offensive from October 13th to November 11th, 1918; and that he was on duty with the Army of Occupation in Germany and Luxembourg from November 22nd, 1918 to July 5th, 1919." Bounds wrote of his adventures overseas, the accounts of the fighting at St. Mihiel published in two period newspaper articles, as follows: "Yes, I was in the fighting north of Toul when the St. Mihiel pocket was wiped out. Our battalion was one of the first line and we had our hands full for a while. I should like to write a description of it, but fear it would not get by. Anyway, at 5 o'clock in the morning of September 12, we 'went over the top' behind a furious artillery barrage. The shells fell thick and fast, great flashes of flame shooting upwards as they struck the Boche machine guns played a regular 'Devil's tattoo'. Our men were splendid -- they were as cool as veterans and advanced across No Man's Land as if on a rabbit hunt. We met with some pretty stiff fighting around some machine gun nests, and a number of brave fellows fought their last fight; but the Boches were far from being supermen we had read about. They fought well enough while they were behind cover and could fire their cannon and machine guns, but when we got close to them and it was man to man, they threw up their hands and yelled, "Kamerad." My two sergeants and I took 11 of them and our company took well over 200, besides 15 machine guns and a couple of cannon. I guess you have read in the papers that our army took about 15,000 prisoners, 150 square miles of territory, about 2000 machine guns, several hundred cannon and much ammunition. When we reached our objective we dug in, and held on under constant artillery fire for several days, until we were relieved. And I came through it all without a scratch. But Fergy (Lieuenant G.H. Ferguson) got struck over the eye by a very small piece of shell and was slightly hurt. And I understand that Mike (Lieutenant J.W. O'Daniel) was slightly wounded also. Guess they haven't got my number." In a letter from Captain M.D. O'Neal, 6th Infantry, addressed to the Commanding General, 5th Division, dated June 2, 1919, he recommended Bounds for the Distinguished Service Cross: "1. I recommend that the Distinguished Service Cross be awarded to the following officer for acts of gallantry as set forth after his name: HARVEY CHAPLAIN BOUNDS, 1st Lieutenant, 6th Infantry, for extraordinary heroism and bravery in battle. At Romagne, France, on October 14, 1918, having become separated from his company during an intense bombardment of high explosive and gas shells, Lt. Bounds noticed an enemy machine gun nest which had been passed in the advance and which were firing into our lines from the flank and rear. Collecting a few men, he personally led the attack on the nest, himself killing the gunner by shooting him with a pistol and thereby causing the surrender of the other five members of the machine gun crew. His example of courage under fire was a splendid inspiration to his men and saved our forces many losses. 2. I was at that time commanding Company "E", 6th Infantry, and witnessed the above while operating in the same vicinity." After the war, Bounds served as part of the Army of Occupation in Germany before resigning his commissions of 1st Lieutenant and provisional 2nd Lieutenant in September 1919. He was later appointed Captain with the Coast Artillery Corps in Delaware, effective June 6, 1921. He died on January 19, 1969, at the age of 75 and is buried in Riverview Cemetery in Wilmington, Delaware, Section 15.
Back To Top