Tel: 1(905) 634-3848

Text: 1(905) 906-3848

Purveyors of Authentic Militaria

eMedals-A First Memorial Cross; Canadian Concentration Camp at Kinmel Park

Item: C3765

A First Memorial Cross; Canadian Concentration Camp at Kinmel Park



Layaway Policy

eMedals is pleased to offer flexible layaway services to all clients. Our layaway program offers the opportunity for clients to make payments on eligible items over period of time.

Minimum deposit of 30%, of the total price of your order including all applicable taxes and shipping charges, is due when the merchandise is put on layaway. The total price of your order must be paid within 6 months from the date of original purchase.

You may make additional payments at any time by accessing the Layaway section in your account.

Your contract will be automatically cancelled and ordered merchandise will be returned to stock if you have not completed payments in full by the 3 month deadline.

You may pay by cash, check, wire transfer, Paypal, or credit card.

Available for immediate shipping.

A First Memorial Cross; Canadian Concentration Camp at Kinmel Park

A First Memorial Cross; Canadian Concentration Camp at Kinmel Park - (213281 L-Cpl. V. EGLESTON). Naming is officially engraved. Dark patina, finely pebbled surface, light contact, near extremely fine. Accompanied by copies of his Index Cards, Attestation Paper, Service Records, Medical Records, Pay Records and Discharge Certificates, along with assorted research papers.  Footnote: Victor Egleston was born on April 14, 1897 in Hoo, Kent, England. He signed his Attestation Paper with the 99th Infantry Battalion "Essex Battalion" on December 14, 1915 in Windsor, Ontario, naming his next-of-kin as his father, John Egleston of Windsor, stating that he had twelve months' previous military service with the 21st Regiment as a Sergeant, that he was not married and that his trade was that of Clerk. The Battalion was raised in Essex County, Ontario with mobilization headquarters at Windsor under the authority of G.O. 151, December 22, 1915. The Battalion sailed May 31, 1916 aboard the S.S. Olympic, under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel T.B. Welch with a strength of 36 officers and 825 other ranks, arriving in Liverpool, England on June 8th. In England, the Battalion was absorbed into the 35th Reserve Battalion, of which Egleston was transferred to on July 6th. After one month, he was transferred to the 19th Infantry Battalion on August 6th for overseas service in the French theatre, arriving at the Canadian Base Depot on August 7th. Five days later, he left for the 2nd Entrenchment Battalion on the 12th, arriving with his unit in the field on the 14th, then joined the 19th Battalion two weeks later on the 28th. He was in battle eighteen days later, when he suffered a severe gun shot wound (shrapnel) to the chest and face on September 15, 1916, which would ultimately leave a small irregular scar on his mid forehead. He was immediately evacuated to England, arriving at the Canadian Casualty Assembly Centre at Folkestone on the 17th, then admitted to the 2nd Southern General Hospital in Bristol on September 18th. He was transferred five days later to the Canadian Convalescent Hospital at Bearwood, Wokingham on the 23rd, reassessed, then placed at the Canadian Casualty Assembly Centre on the 25th, where he was to recuperate for the next three weeks or so, before being discharged on October 17th. He was then posted to the Canadian Convalescent Depot at Shoreham and discharged from the Canadian Convalescent Depot on December 19th. Egleston was transferred to the 3rd Canadian Reserve Battalion at Hastings on January 24, 1917 and after three months, was again transferred back to the 19th Infantry Battalion at West Sandling on April 25th. He was with the 19th Infantry Battalion when his second major hospitalization began on November 16, 1917, and it was to last the next five months. He was admitted to No. 11 Stationary Hospital at Rouen with Trench Foot, then evacuated to England, where he was placed at Bath War Hospital on the 20th. He was at Bath for two months before being transferred to the Military Convalescent Hospital at Epsom on the January 22, 1918 for the next six weeks. He was then admitted to No. 16 Canadian General, Ontario Military Hospital at Orpington, Kent on March 5th, then transferred to the Canadian Convalescent Hospital at Bromley on April 18th, where he was discharged the following day. Egleston was posted to the Central Ontario Regimental Depot on June 7th, at which he was appointed Lance Corporal on October 7, 1918. He was placed on command at the Canadian Concentration Camp at Kinmel Park for return to Canada on December 12, 1918, soon leaving for home and taken on strength at No. 1 District Depot in London, Ontario on December 21, 1918. He was posted to Casualty Company on January 2, 1919 and given a Subsistence Allowance that lasted from January 2nd to the 25th. It was here that a Medical Board determined that he had Pulmonary Tuberculosis. In his Medical History of an Invalid, dated January 27, 1919, it was determined that he had Pulmonary Tuberculosis before enlisting, due to an exposure to infection and experienced a "frequent cough and expectoration prior to enlistment". His medical condition after being examined in Canada noted that he had "slight retraction of the chest wall", with a "slight cough and expectoration". He had had a history of "loss of weight since December 1917" and was now "easily fatigued" and experiencing "occasional pains in the left chest anteriorly". Egleston was discharged as being "Medically Unfit" on February 3, 1919 at No. 1 Military District. Ironically, he died eighteen years to the day he suffered his shrapnel injuries, on September 15, 1934 from Pulmonary Tuberculosis. Although his condition existed before enlistment, the Army still admitted him and accepted responsibility for him, the condition exacerbated by his war service. His mother, Mrs. Anna Egleston of Detroit, Michigan, received his Memorial Cross. He had previously received his war medals. He did marry after his discharge, so his wife did not receive a Memorial Cross.
Back To Top