Tel: 1 (905) 634-3848

Text: 1 (905) 906-3848

Purveyors of Authentic Militaria

  • A Second War Canadian Memorial Cross to the Heavy Glider Conversion Unit
  • A Second War Canadian Memorial Cross to the Heavy Glider Conversion Unit
  • A Second War Canadian Memorial Cross to the Heavy Glider Conversion Unit
  • A Second War Canadian Memorial Cross to the Heavy Glider Conversion Unit

Item: C2449

A Second War Canadian Memorial Cross to the Heavy Glider Conversion Unit


0% Buyer's Premium

eMedals proudly ships worldwide, see our shipping information

What's a max bid?

Your maximum bid should be the highest amount you're willing to pay for an item.

Your entered maximum bid will not be disclosed to the seller or other auction participants at any point.

Max bidding example:

If the current auction price is $100 dollars and you place a maximum bid of $120 dollars, the system will bid $101 dollars on your behalf.

If no other participant places a bid, you win that auction lot for $101 dollars.

If another auction participant places a bid of $110 dollars, the system will subsequently place a bid of $111 dollars on your behalf. The system will continue to bid in $1.00 dollar increments until your maximum bid of $120 dollars is exceeded.

If another auction participant places a bid for $125 dollars, the auction lot price will display $121 dollars having exceeded your previously submitted maximum bid by $1.00 dollar.

Buyer's Premium

All bids are subject to a Buyer's Premium which is in addition to the placed successful bid. The following rate of Buyer's Premium will be added to the Hammer Price of each Lot that you purchase:

Twenty-Two Percent (22%) of the Hammer Price

A Second War Canadian Memorial Cross to the Heavy Glider Conversion Unit

GRVI (SGT. W.O.A.G. R.W.J. HISSON R-85928). Naming is officially impressed. Suspended from a silver bow-tied ribbon hanger with pinback, light contact, near extremely fine. Accompanied by copies of his Attestation Paper, Service Records, Royal Canadian Air Force Message (addressed to his father, Orval Hisson, dated September 5, 1942, informing him that his son's funeral had taken place the day before), Royal Air Force Burial Return Form and a Newspaper Article with Photo from the Toronto Star (page 2, dated September 6, 1942, announcing his death).    Footnote: Roy Walter John Hisson was born on June 14, 1920 in Toronto, Ontario, the son of Orval Roy Hisson (a Machinist) and Viola Hisson. His primary education was at St. Clair and Perth School (1927 to 1936), where he achieved an Entrance Certificate, while his high school education was at Western Technical School (1936 to 1938), where he completed two years in Motor Mechanics. Following his schooling, he was employed briefly in mid-1939 by M. Wintral & Sons as a Extrusion Press Operator, but lost his job due to "lack of work". By the fall, he was employed as a Delivery Person with G. Tamblyn Drug Store Limited (October 1939 to August 1940) before joining the RCAF. Hisson signed his Attestation Paper with the Royal Canadian Air Force, on September 10, 1940 in Toronto, at the age of 20, naming his next-of-kin as his father, stating that he had no previous military service, that he was Single and that his trade was that of Occasional Helper. He was admitted to the RCAF as an Aircraftman 2nd Class on December 27, 1940 and posted to No. 1 Manning Depot in Toronto on January 15, 1941. Ten weeks later, he was transferred to No. 1 Wireless School in Montreal, Quebec on March 31st, where he was named Leading Aircraftman on May 1st. He continued his training, as he was posted to No. 1 Bombing and Gunnery School at Jarvis, Ontario on September 16th, where he earned his Air Gunner Badge on October 11, 1941 and named Sergeant two days later. He was transferred to "Y" Depot in Halifax, Nova Scotia on October 15th for overseas service and placed with the Royal Air Force Training Pool on November 2nd. Upon arrival in the United Kingdom, he was named Temporary Sergeant on November 13th and posted to No. 3 Personnel Reception Centre on the 14th. Hisson was transferred for nine days to No. 14 Initial Training Wing (November 22nd to 30th), before returning to No. 3 PRC for another nine days, which was followed by a posting to No. 1 Signals School on December 9th. After two months of signals training, he was transferred to No. 42 Operational Training Unit at RAF Andover on February 3, 1942, where he was named Temporary Flight Sergeant on April 13th. Hisson was transferred to the Heavy Glider Conversion Unit (HGCU) at RAF Brize Norton. The station had been used in various forms of flying training until July 1942, when it became home of the HGCU and was later re-named No. 21 HGCU, which remained at RAF Brize Norton until December 31, 1945. Hisson was training aboard a glider when he struck a tree on takeoff at Whitley. He was Killed While on Active Service (Killed as the Result of a Flying Accident) on August 31, 1942, at the age of 22. He was buried on September 4, 1942 in Black Boulton (or Burton Abbots) (St. Mary) Churchyard (near Reading), Oxfordshire, England, Grave Reference: Row F. Grave 5. and is commemorated on page 81 of the Second World War Book of Remembrance. His mother, Viola Hisson, received his Memorial Cross.
Back To Top