A British Empire Group to the Canadian Women's Army Corps
A British Empire Group to the Canadian Women's Army Corps - British Empire Medal (W.2311 CPL. MARIE J. HEBERT - C.W.A.C.). Naming is officially impressed, with her surname re-engraved. Original bow-tied ribbon with pinback, light contact, near extremely fine. In its hardshelled case of issue, marked "O.B.E." on the cover, "Royal Mint" maker mark on the inside lid, slotted medal bed, case also near extremely fine. Accompanied by her Corporal Stripes (brown and khaki embroidered stripes sewn upon a chocolate brown wool base, 34 mm x 113 mm); a Canadian Women's Army Corps Jacket Patch (four-colour embroidery on chocolate brown wool, reinforced backer, 108 mm x 123 mm); a Canadian Women's Army Corps Shoulder Flash (yellow embroidered lettering on chocolate brown wool, reinforced backer, 26 mm x 92 mm); and four Photographs (one original panoramic group photo of Headquarters Company Number 1 taken at CWAC Training Centre in Kitchener, Ontario in August 1945, with Hebert sitting in the front row, eleventh from the right, the photo entitled " "H.Q" Coy. No. 1. C.W.A.C. T.C. KITCHENER. ONT. AUG. 1945." with a "FEDERAL PHOTOS - MONTREAL" photo credit at the lower right, stamped in black ink on the reverse "FEDERAL PHOTOS 1405 Mackay St. MONTREAL QUE.", 201 mm x 682 mm; and three reproduction enlargements of Hebert taken from the group photo, 88 mm x 127 mm each). Footnote: The Canadian Women's Army Corps was a non-combatant branch of the Canadian Army for women established during the Second World War, to release men from those non-combatant roles in the Canadian armed forces as part of expanding Canada's war effort. Most women served in Canada but some served overseas, most in roles such as secretaries, mechanics, cooks and so on. The CWAC was finally abolished as a separate corps in 1964, when women were fully integrated into the Canadian armed forces.