A 96th Lake Superior Regiment Cap Badge c.1910
A 96th Lake Superior Regiment Cap Badge c.1910 - 44.5 mm x 52.5 mm, of bronze, maker mark plaque HICKS & SONS LONDON on the reverse. In near mint condition. Footnote: The Battalion was reactivated in July 1905 under the name The 96th Battalion, The Lake Superior Regiment. Headquarters were, once again, in Port Arthur with companies in neighbouring Fort William, Fort Frances and Kenora. No sooner had Canada entered the war against Germany and its allies in 1914 than it was decided to raise an expeditionary force for battle overseas. The local militia, which mustered the day after war was declared, immediately began a recruiting drive to bring itself up to strength, and there was no shortage of men willing to fight. By March 1915, the 52nd Battalion was formed as the first complete overseas battalion from this region of Ontario and, in short order, the 52nd had recruited 47 officers and 1,898 other ranks many of whom came from the old 96th.