A 1901-1908 British-American Squadron of the King's Colonials Badge
A 1901-1908 British-American Squadron of the King's Colonials Badge - (British-American Squadron of the King's Colonials, Imperial Yeomanry Cap) Brass, unmarked, 45.5 mm x 49.5 mm, intact lugs, extremely fine. Footnote: The badge was worn with the regimental badge which is quite different. Originally there were four squadrons of "colonials" living in the United Kingdom - British Asian, British African, British American and Australasian. The B Squadron consisted for the most part of Canadians. The Australasian squadron was re-named Australian when a New Zealand squadron was raised in 1903, the New Zealand squadron disbanding a year later. It was raised as the 4th County of London Imperial Yeomanry (King's Colonials) in late 1901. It did not see service in the South African War. It was re-named in 1905 as The King's Colonials, Imperial Yeomanry and in 1908 was re-titled King Edward's Horse (The King's Overseas Dominions Regiment) and issued a new badge when it became part of the Territorial Army. In 1909, the Crown Colonies attained the status of Dominions, with the term "Colonial Squadrons" being abolished and of a consequence, the Squadron badges were no longer made and replaced by one listing all Dominions.