Tel: 1(905) 634-3848

Text: 1(905) 906-3848

Purveyors of Authentic Militaria

eMedals-A 10th Battalion Trio - Wounded at Ypres

Item: C0857

A 10th Battalion Trio - Wounded at Ypres

Sold For


View Bid History

Not available.

A 10th Battalion Trio - Wounded at Ypres

A WWI Trio to the 10th Battalion CEF - 1914-15 Star (426213 Pte R.W. COX. 10/CAN:INF:); British War Medal (426213 CPL. R.W. COX. 10-CAN. INF.); and Victory Medal (426213 CPL. R.W. COX. 10-CAN. INF.). Naming is officially impressed. Unmounted, very crisp detail, polished, light contact, near extremely fine. Accompanied by a CDcontaining twenty-two pages with copies of his Index Cards, Attestation Paper, Service Records, Medical Records, Medical History of an Invalid and Discharge Certificate. Footnote: Reginald Walter Cox was born on April 17, 1881 in Malmesbury, England. He signed his Attestation Paper with the 46th Infantry Battalion on February 17, 1915 at Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, naming his next-of-kin as his father Walter Thomas Cox of Scarborough Farm, Longcott, Faringdon, Berkshire, England and stating that he had eight years previous military service with the 2nd VB Wiltshire Regiment, that he was not married and that his trade was that of Machinist. Cox soon found himself in England and was transferred to the 32nd Reserve Battalion on July 18, 1915. He then proceeded to the 10th Battalion and was taken on strength in the field in France on August 29th, in addition to being promoted to the rank of Lance Corporal on September 10th. Cox attended the Army School of Instruction II on March 12, 1916, again seeing another promotion in the field, this time to Corporal on April 5, 1916. Corporal Cox suffered a perforating gun shot wound to the left eye, in addition to wounds to his chin, back and chest on June 3, 1916 from an explosive shell. The left eye was severely damaged, with the entrance wound at the inner side of the cornea and the exit wound at the inner side of the optic nerve. He was triaged at No. 24 General Etaples on June 4th, then evacuated to the Military Hospital at Bagthorpe, Nottingham on the 19th. His Medical History of an Invalid dated March 24, 1919 by the medical examiner read: "Man states that on June 3/16 he was struck in left eye by shrapnel, "3rd Battle of Ypres" (soldier's designation only, likely the Battle on Mont Sorrel which was fought in the Ypres Salient, near Ypres, Belgium from June 2 to June 14, 1916). Eye removed 2 weeks later in Nottingham Eye Infirmary" (June 26th), with a "slight discharge present". He was taken on strength at the Canadian Casualty Assembly Centre on June 29th, moved to King's Canadian Hospital at Bushy Park on September 5th, then to West Cliffe Canadian Eye and Ear Hospital at Folkstone on the 10th. He was finally discharged on September 16th, having spent three months in hospital, with a glass eye replacing his destroyed left eye. Cox was taken on as Administration Staff at Shoreham on November 18, 1916 for sixteen weeks, then attached to the Canadian Arms Inspection and Repair Depot at Greenwich on March 26, 1917. He was struck off strength to the Alberta Regimental Depot on April 19, 1917 and reverted to the permanent rank of Private at his own request at London on May 3rd. In addition, he was granted permission to marry. He was then transferred to the Canadian Postal Corps, General Post Office, Mt. Pleasant, London at Bramshott on May 10, 1917. Cox was struck off strength on posting to the General Depot in London on January 22, 1919, then found himself on command with 8th Reserve Battalion at Witley on March 23rd. Corporal Cox was discharged upon demobilization on April 3, 1919 at No. 2 Canadian Discharge Depot in London, England, having served in Canada from December 31, 1914 to June 5, 1915, England from June 5, 1915 to August 28, 1915 and in France and Belgium from August 28, 1915 to June 18, 1916.
Back To Top