30th Regiment, British Columbia Horse
Cap Badge, c. 1912; 30th Regiment, British Columbia Horse Cap Badge, c. 1912. 48.5 mm x 53.5 mm, of bronze, high relief, maker marked W. SCULLY MONTREAL on the reverse. In near mint condition. Footnote: The British Columbia Dragoons trace their origins to the formation of the Canadian Mounted Rifles, two independent squadrons of horse in Kamloops and Vernon in 1908. In 1910 two additional squadrons were raised and the regiment was renamed the British Columbia Horse. In 1912 the unit was renamed again as the 30th Regiment, British Columbia Horse. During the First World War, the Regiment was not mobilized, but in December 1914 many volunteers from the Regiment joined the newly formed 2nd Regiment Canadian Mounted Rifles. After some limited service in France as cavalry, the unit was reroled to infantry as 2nd Canadian Mounted Rifles Battalion on January 1, 1916. The Battalion became part of the 8th Canadian Infantry Brigade, and fought with success on the Western Front. Despite being trained as cavalry but deployed as infantry, the Regiment managed the war well. In the post war reorganization, the Regiment was renamed The British Columbia Mounted Rifles in 1920, and then to the name still carried today, The British Columbia Dragoons, in 1929.