20th Halton Battalion, Lorne Rifles
Shoulder Belt Plate, c. 1881; 20th Halton Battalion, Lorne Rifles Shoulder Belt Plate, c. 1881. 64 mm x 92 mm, silver, a beautiful patina, in extremely fine condition. Footnote: The Lorne Rifles (Scottish) originated in Milton, Ontario in September 1866, when the 20th Halton Battalion of Infantry was authorized to be formed. It was redesignated 20th Halton Battalion of Rifles in January 1872, the 20th Halton Battalion, Lorne Rifles in November 1881, the 20th Halton Regiment, Lorne Rifles in May 1900, the 20th Regiment, Halton Rifles in December 1909, The Halton Rifles in May 1920 and The Lorne Rifles (Scottish) in November 1931. In December 1936, it was amalgamated with The Peel and Dufferin Regiment, as The Lorne Scots (Peel, Dufferin and Halton Regiment). The Regiment perpetuated the 37th, 74th, 76th, 126th, 164th and 234th Overseas Battalions, Canadian Expeditionary Force in the First World War.