Tel: 1(905) 634-3848

Text: 1(905) 906-3848

Purveyors of Authentic Militaria

eMedals-1st Type E-Boat Badge to S-57 Commander Buschmann

Item: G15162

1st Type E-Boat Badge to S-57 Commander Buschmann

Sold For

$2,400

Not available.

1st Type E-Boat Badge to S-57 Commander Buschmann

1st Type E-Boat Badge to S-57 Commander Buschmann - E-Boat Badge, First Pattern (period mounted on wooden board 14x29cm - 51/2x111/") in gilded and patinated tombac, typical Schwerin, Berlin badge, good very fine (screwed on wooden board did not unscrew to see reverse); with small metal "100" number set inside badge (presumably number of actions/missions); with brass dolphin placed above the badge (unit insignia); and dedication plaque at the bottom; hand dated on reverse May 24th 1943. Footnote: This was presumably constructed as a gift by the crew to the commander of S-57 Oberleutnant zur See Buschmann.   On September 9th, 1940 the boat was delivered to the Kriegsmarine and attached to the 3rd S-Boat Flotilla and put under the command of Leutnant Günther Erdmann. In 1940 they began training in the Baltic, and together with the first boats of the Flotilla were prepared for combat in the Channel. In 1941 during the course of Operation Barbarossa they were involved in the assault against Russia from bases in Pilau, then Libau. By the end of the year they were successfully transferred via the Rhone to the Mediterranean. In 1942 from their base in Augusta, Sicily they began mine laying operations against Malta. By the end of May the boats were moved to North Africa and carried out operations from their base in Derna. In the beginning of July, S57 was send to Palermo for engine repairs. By September they were carrying out operations against Malta from Porto Empedocle. On December 2nd, S57 rescued 5 men of the HAPAG-Steamship MENES. In 1943 the ship was anchored in Augusta in a state unfit for service. In the beginning of August it was relocated to Taranto, and by the end of the month came under the command of the new Captain, Leutnant z.S Hansgeorg Buschmann. The Flotilla’s area of operation was now the water around Naples. In October they were ordered to relocate to the Adriatic. The transfer was done over land across the Apennines. Shallow water in the Po hindered their transfer and it wasn’t until the 7th of March that they arrived in Venice. From there they continued operations along the Croatian Coast.  On August 19th, 1944 the 3rd S-Boat Flotilla engaged three British Motor Gun Boats. S57 was so badly damaged that it had to be detonated by the crew at 4:32 am. From the crew Oberfähnrich z.S Fritz Hundt and Maschinenmaat Josef Gunkel were killed and 9 others were wounded.   
Back To Top