Four Medals to Private A.Hall; Wounded at Kitcheners' Wood 1915
The Medals Private A.Hall; Wounded at Kitcheners' Wood 1915 - Queen's South Africa Medal, 3 Clasps - CAPE COLONY, ORANGE FREE STATE, SOUTH AFRICA 1902 (6692 Pte A. HALL. THE QUEEN'S.); 1914-15 Star (19725 Pte A. HALL. 10/CAN:INF:); British War Medal (19725 PTE. A.G. HALL. 10-CAN.INF.); and Victory Medal (19725 PTE. A.G. HALL. 10-CAN.INF.). Un-mounted, paper residue on the reverse of the ribbons from previous board mounting, contact marks on all four, surface wear on the Star, bruising on the QSA and VM, cleaned, very fine. Accompanied by copies of his CEF Index Cards, Attestation Paper, Service Records and Medical Report of an Invalid. Footnote: Albert George Hall was born on October 24, 1883 in London, England. He served with the Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment during the Boer War and later moved to Canada. Hall enlisted with the 10th Infantry Battalion CEF, on August 18, 1914 in Winnipeg, Manitoba. He signed his CEF Attestation Paper on September 25, 1914 at Valcartier Camp, at the age of 30, naming his next-of-kin as Mrs. Annie Hall of Winnipeg, Manitoba, stating that he had twelve years' previous military service with the Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment, that he was not married and that his trade was that of Boiler Maker's Helper. The Battalion was raised in Calgary, Alberta and Winnipeg, Manitoba with mobilization headquarters at Camp Valcartier, Quebec under the authority of P.C.O. 2067, August 6, 1914. The Battalion sailed October 3, 1914 under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel R.L. Boyle with a strength of 41 officers and 1,065 other ranks. Hall arrived in the French theatre with the 10th Infantry Battalion shortly after arriving in England, serving in France and Belgium with the 2nd Infantry Brigade, 1st Canadian Division. In late April 1915, the Battalion was in action during the Second Battle of Ypres in the town of St. Julien, located east of Ypres, in the south-western part of Belgium known as Flanders. On the night of April 22nd-23rd, the 10th Infantry Battalion was called forward to counterattack the strong German formation advancing through a large gap in the line, created by the rout of two French divisions. Forming up in front of the 16th Infantry Battalion, the two units mounted a hasty assault on an oak plantation known as Bois de Cuisineres (AKA Kitcheners' Wood, so named because the French had located their field kitchens there). The assault cost the life of the 10th Infantry Battalion's Commanding Officer, Lieutenant-Colonel R.L. Boyle, and of the 816 men who crossed the start line on April 22nd, only 193 survived. Nonetheless, the German advance was stopped. This action moved the overall commander of the French Army to describe the attack as the single bravest act of the entire war. Hall was one of the survivors, however, he suffered a gun shot wound to his foot. In his Medical History of an Invalid, dated October 13, 1915 at Shorncliffe Military Hospital, it describes the circumstances of his injury: "When charging (the) enemy (he) was struck by a bullet at a range of ten yards fracturing (the) head of 4th metatarsal" (long bone in the foot). He was transferred to Boulogne that day, for invaliding to England. Once in England, he was admitted to Fort Pitt Military Hospital at Chatham on the 25th, where he was to remain for one week, before being transferred to Lees Court Military Hospital at Faversham on May 1st. After almost seven weeks at Faversham, he was transferred to Orchard Convalescent Home at Dartford on June 16th for one week, then transferred to the Canadian Convalescent Convalescent at Bromley on June 22nd for thirteen weeks recuperation, before being discharged on September 27th. He followed his stay at Bromley with a one month visit to Shorncliffe Military Hospital on September 28th, before being discharged to his unit on October 28th. It was determined his foot injury was severe enough to end his military career and by late April, Hall was struck off strength on proceeding to Canada and was discharged at Military District No. 10 in Winnipeg, on May 10, 1916.