Auxiliary Police (Schuma) Officer’s Arm Insignia
Auxiliary/Security Police (often called “Schuma”) Officer’s Arm Insignia; manufactured in rayon, centering machine woven swastika and motto "Treue Tapfer Gehorsam" (Faithful-Valiant-Obedience) finely executed in aluminum threads, on top of black rayon background, measuring approximately 92mm(w) x 100mm(h), in unworn condition. Footnote: Schutzmannschaft (abbr. Schuma) as well as Hilfspolizei (abbr. Hipo) were the collaborationist auxiliary police battalions, comprised mostly of native policemen in countries occupied by Nazi Germany during World War II. These police units operated mostly in Soviet Union and Eastern Europe. Created to fight the anti-Nazi resistance and partisans, they wore variety of uniforms and insignia, and were under command of local SS and the Police. In June of 1942 Germans introduced distinctive insignia to be worn by the Schuma personnel.