An Austrian Arlberg Railway Tunnel Completion Medal 1883
An Austrian Arlberg Railway Tunnel Completion Medal 1883 - Bronze, obverse illustrating a robed woman at the left holding a shield with the Tirol coat-of-arms in her left arm, a robed woman at the right holding a shield with the Vorarlberg coat-of-arms in her left arm, the two women reaching out with their right arms and joining hands, with various digging tools at their feet, the Austrian two-headed eagle insignia above, a frame below inscribed with the length of the railway tunnel "10248.7 m" with the illustration of the tunnel entrance below, inscribed "TIROL" to the left of the tunnel and "VORARLBERG" to the right, a ribbon banner below inscribed "EHRE DER ARBEIT", surrounded by the inscription "BEGINN JUNI 1880 / DURCHSCHLAG NOV. 1883" and engraver marked "JOS. TAUTENHAYN", reverse inscribed "DEN ERBAUERN DES ARLBERG-TUNNELS ZUR ERINNERUNG" inside an open-ended wreath of olive leaves, surrounded by the inscription "DIE K.K. DIRECTION FÜR STAATS - EISENBAHNBAUTEN", 70.3 mm, edge nicks, light contact, near extremely fine. Footnote: The Arlberg Railway Tunnel, with a length of 10.6 kilometres (6.6 miles) is the central part of the Arlberg railway in western Austria, between the provinces of Tyrol and Vorarlberg. The tunnel runs through the Arlberg massif at the northeastern end of the Rhaetian Alps. It opened on December 21, 1884 as a single-track tunnel. The traffic through the tunnel grew so quickly, that a second track was opened by July 15, 1885.