An 1870 Iron Cross 1st Class to Ferdinand von Unruhe
An 1870 Iron Cross 1st Class to Ferdinand von Unruhe; Iron core, flat, pin back, maker marked J.Wagner & S. 14 Loth, with 3 fine hairline cracks to centre core, and importantly engraved "von Unruhe", measuring (w) 41.9 mm x 41.6mm (h) and weighing 16.5 grams, extremely fine. Accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity by Detlev Niemann. Footnote: Karl Rudolph Ferdinand von Unruhe Iron Cross: Rudolf was the son of an aristocratic family from Silesia. He attended school in Guben and became a cadet in Wahlsstatt and Berlin. On April 29th 1854 he was made second Leutnant of the 9th Colberg Infantry Regiment of the Prussian Army. Unruhe served as Inspecting officer of that unit from May 4th, 1857. On July 1st 1859 he was acting as an assistant instructor in the topographical school of the 3rd Division. On August 21st 1859 he was acting as adjutant of the 2ndBattalion of the 9th Regiment Militia in Cöslin and by October was heading their Headquarters Battalion. By order of the AKO on May 5th 1860, the three Battalions of militia formed the 9th Combined Infantry Regiment. On the 13th of June 1860 Unruhe was named Regiments Adjutant. The regimental designation was changed to the 49th Pomeranian Infantry Regiment on July 1st, 1860, with its garrison based in Stargard. On November 30th, 1860 he was promoted to First Leutnant, and as such he took part in the General Staff training excursion on October 23rd, 1865 as part of the 2nd Army Corps of Stettin. During the war with Austria he took part in the battle of Königgrätz and received the Order of the Red Eagle 4th Class with Swords. After peace was signed, he and members of his company stationed in Bromberg would form the 76thRegiment on October 30th, 1866. On the same day as his promotion to Hauptmann, he was made Commander of the 11th Company. In 1867, after the garrison was moved to the free hanseatic cities of Hamburg and Lübeck, it was renamed the 2nd Hanseatic Infantry regiment. On May 14th, 1868 he was made Adjutant of the General Command of the 2nd army Corps in Stettin. On March 10th, 1870, after being made part of the Great General Staff in Berlin, he was active in the General Staff of the 2nd Army Corps. In the Franco-Prussian war, he was present at the sieges of Metz and Paris, the battles of Gravelotte, Champigny-Villiers, skirmishes at Frasne and Pontarlier, as well as action at Jura. He was decorated with both classes of the Iron Cross, and by the end of the war on October 30th, 1871 was promoted to Major. He was assigned to the Army General Staff as of November 30, 1872, and was simultaneously put in command of 4th Army inspection. He was made Oberstleutnant on March 22nd, 1877. On February 5th, 1878 he was named commander of the General Staff of the 9th Army Corps in Altona. On March 22nd 1884 he was made Commander of the 1st Kaiser Alexander Grenadier Guard Regiment. Health issues meant he had to go into retirement. After receiving the Order of the Crown 2nd Class, he was allowed to wear his Regiment uniform after retirement, which officially began on July 15th, 1890.