A Rare 10/11 Reconnaissance Flight Grouping for Tannenberg
A Rare 10/11 Reconnaissance Flight Grouping for Tannenberg - Obtained as a group from an advanced collector: Reconnaissance clasp in gold grade, in gilded tombac, unmarked, of fine quality manufacture, in extremely fine condition, and with case of issue; "Tannenberg” Cufftitle for NCO’s and Enlisted Men, machine embroidered in silvery/grey thread on dark blue Luftwaffe cloth, tunic removed, total length approximately 41cm, in very fine condition - rare Cufftitle; a period picture of two Luftwaffe soldiers, one clearly wearing "Tannenberg” Cufftitle on his right arm; "Tannenberg” 12 Years’ service plaque, in heavy silvered bronze, plaque itself measures approximately 16x16cm, together with period wooden frame about 22x22cm – an extremely rare plaque. In generally very fine or better condition. The “Tannenberg” Cufftitle was given exclusively to men of the 10th Aufklärungsgruppe (recon.) which flew light aircraft in the East. The Group was renamed Nr. 10 in November 1938, it was previously Nr. 11, and founded in 1937. It was moved from its base in Neuhausen to Ganshorn in East Prussia in preparation for the Invasion of Poland, for which it was put in support of the 3rd Army. In April 1940 it was assigned to the 10th Fliegerkorps in support of the 21st Army Group for the invasion of Denmark and Norway. In mid-February the unit was ordered to Romania as part of the VIII. Fliegerkorps and moved forward into Bulgaria to support the XVIII. Mountain Corps in their invasion of Yugoslavia. They suffered their first loss on April 14 when an Hs 126 was shot down by an RAF Hurricane south of Salonika. In June 1941 they were ordered to South East Poland to support Army Group South in the Invasion of the Soviet Union, after which they moved headquarters to Kharkov and were refitted with newer Fw 189 aircraft. After being equipped with new aircraft it was ordered to support the AOK 17 in the offensive in the North Caucasus. The squadron reported their first loss in Russia on July 18th 1942 when an Fw 189 crashed and killed its crew of 3. Their first combat loss was on September 5th when another Fw 189 was shot down by Flak at Borisovka. On November 2nd it was ordered north to Millerovo to support the heavy fighting west of Stalingrad.