A First War AEF Medic Uniform
This two-piece uniform, consisting of a tunic and trousers, is fully accessoried with all the items perinent to a Medic during the First Worls War. The olive green wool tunic is adorned on the shoulders with shoulder straps, each held in place by a small bronze Army button. The left shoulder has a red, white and blue embroidered Red Cross insignia, while the right shoulder has an embroidered brown Army Medical Corps insignia. The front has four pockets, one on each breast, each bearing the Army eagle insignia button on the front, maker marked "AM. BUTTON CO., NEWARK, N.J." on the reverse, as are all the bronze buttons on the uniform. The lower pockets on either side are shorter and wider and are also buttoned. Each of the four pockets have a foldover flap with reinforced buttonholes. Attached to the left breast pocket is a WWI United States Victory Medal with three clasps (DEFENSIVE SECTOR, MEUSE-ARGONNE, ST. MIHIEL). The front is completed by a vertical row of four large bronze buttons on the right side, facing an equal number of reinforced button holes on the left. In addition, there is a silver bullion Six Month Service Stripe on the left forearm sleeve, along with a white and red wool Red Cross armband on the upper arm sleeve, complete with a period safety pin holding it in position on the underside. The collar has two hook and eye closures, ensuring a snug fit, with flanking bronze collar tabs, one with the U.S. Army designation, the other with the Army Medical Corps insignia. The inside of the tunic is lined in cotton and features a pocket on the left lapel. When turned up, the underside of the cotton lining on the left side exposes a maker label" "PROSER BROS. NEW YORK Contract April 16, 1918, Contract N0. 1918-N. Spec. No. 1285, NEW YORK DEPOT Q.M.C.", numbered "09153", stamped "MAX MILLER New York". The canvas Medic's belt contains ten bandage pouches, with a front-locking adjustable steel closure, suuported by two shoulder straps, maker marked "MADE BY MILLS WOVEN CARTRIDGE BELT CO. WORCESTER, MASS." on one clip, marked "PATENTED MAY 18, 1915, DEC 26, 1916, JAN 2, 1917", flanking the Mills Bullet Logo on the other clip, stamped "MILLS 1917 E.O." on the reverse of the canvas belt. It comes with two aluminum dogs tags, numbered "481470 6" each and strung together via a brown string. The accompanying olive green wool trousers come with a buttondown fly with four metal buttons, each marked "U.S. ARMY", the three lower buttons placed discreetly under a foldover flap, remaining invisible to the eye. There are series of six belt loops along the waistline, in addition to five cotton-lined pockets, two angled entry pockets on either side at the front and two top entry pockets at the rear, plus an additional smaller pocket above the front right side angled pocket. Inside, the waist is lined with a wide band of cotton and has a maker label marked "HENRY SONNEBORN & CO., Inc. BALTIMORE, MD. CONTRACT 847, SEPT. 6, 1917 PHILADELPHIA DEPOT" with an overlaying ink stamp inscribed "Isadore" on the backside of the front right side angled pocket. There are a series of ten eyelets on either side on the lower leg, laced together via brown shoestring lace, to ensure a snug fit on the lower calf. The trousers are flared on the thighs and the inside of the pantlegs, reinforced with cavalry-style wool patches, a traditional breeches appearance. Accompanying the trousers are two independently rolled wool Puttees held in place via cotton bands. The steel helmet is British-made and contains all of its original parts, including its leather liner and chin strap. In addition, it maintains its original paint job, with the front and rear emblazoned with red, white and blue Red Cross insignia, while the sides display gold Medical Corps insignias, all four of which are hand-painted. Although the trousers display slight staining on the inner waistband and a moth hole on the left leg, along with fabric interruptions evident on the canvas shoulder straps of the Medic's belt, this ensemble displays a nice texture in the wool and quality workmanship, beautiful, intact stitching, exhibiting a very clean condition overall in the uniform, with all the accessories remaining fully intact. A fine First World War collectible, in extremely fine condition.