44th Lincoln and Welland Regiment Cap Badge,
circa 1910; 44th Lincoln and Welland Regiment Cap Badge, c. 1910. 42 mm x 48.5 mm, in bronze with light wear, in very fine condition. Footnote: As a result of the Fenian Raids, the 44th "Welland" Battalion of Infantry was raised. It took over companies from both the 19th and 20th Battalions. The 20th was redesignated the 20th "Halton" Battalion, and moved to Milton. Between 1866 and 1914 there were various name changes and reorganizations. In 1914, the 19th Lincoln Regiment, with headquarters in St. Catharines, had eight companies, as did the 44th Lincoln and Welland Regiment, with headquarters in Niagara Falls. Although not mobilized, the regiments contributed troops to contingents for the North-West Campaign and the Boer War. During the Great War, the two Regiments contributed over 5,000 men to various Canadian Expeditionary Force battalions, particularly the 81st, 98th and 176th.